Fastpitch Softball Organization
Operating as usual
These three ladies have made their decision on their futures!! They have all given a verbal commitment to continue their softball and academic careers at Spartanburg Methodist College. They had several options and SMC fit them the best. Three really great friends who are sharing their college experience together! Congratulations Alexis Brown, Payton Allen and Reine Wood!! DO BIG THINGS!! We will miss you all after Summer of 2021!! Enjoy yourself these last days in Showcase/travel softball!! Select coaches and players are all very proud of you!! We wish you the best of luck! 💙🙌🏻🔥
[09/16/20] Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Worley family on the loss of a father, husband and friend! He was a good man and this will be a hard pill to swallow for everyone! RIP Ron Worley!! Pam Kelley Worley💙🙏🏻😢😩
I will miss this team...a few are missing but we had a great time! I know these 4 ladies will do amazing in college! They are smart and talented! So proud of them! Good luck girls!!
SAD TO SEE THEM GO...but we know they will do amazing in their next adventures!! We love you all!! ALWAYS SELECT! 💙
SAD TO SEE THEM GO...but we know they will do amazing in their next adventures!! We love you all!! ALWAYS SELECT! 💙
Upstate Select 18U Showcase team based out of Greer,SC is looking for another bracket pitcher for our 2020 Fall showcase season. This team is coached by Jennifer Whited McDaniel, assistant SMC softball coach and USC Upstate alumni, Sarah Gambrill, former SMC collegiate player, and Megan Hope Phillips, former USC Sumter standout. The goal of this team is exposure and recruitment. This team plays in ASA and Bryan Pack Elite showcases and camps. If you are interested please contact us ASAP for a private tryout at [email protected] or PM us on our Upstate Select page. We look forward to hearing from you.
We will miss all these girls and their smiling faces!! These are 4 wonderful athletes that are going to do big things with their futures!! I get the privilege to coach two of them at SMC...off to CIU for one and an undecided for another but she has lots of options and she couldn’t go wrong with whichever one she chooses!! We wish them all the very best and we know they are going to open their wings and fly! GOOD LUCK LADIES! 🍀💞
Just had to post this!🙌🏻💙🤪
SO PROUD OF YOU Macey Drye!! Good luck this summer and we wish you the best at Columbia International this Fall!! 💙 Chase those dreams kiddo! 💪🏻
So proud of two of our ladies from Select! Cassidy Plaia and Rachel Delio have both signed to continue their softball and academic careers at Spartanburg Methodist College. They are very hard workers and they deserve all of this!! 🙌🏻💙 Way to go ladies!!👍🏻
Upstate Select is looking for two competitive, driven, and hard working athletes to join its summer softball 2020 roster. We are a showcase team that plays a 50/50 schedule. We play in BIG showcases in the southeast. The goal of this team is to get your athlete exposed to college coaches in order for them to continue their academic and athletic career after high school. We are located in Greer,SC and we have collegiate level coaching. The open positions are:
These athletes need to be agile, knowledgeable in the game, and coachable! If you are interested please contact [email protected] or PM us on Facebook. Thank you!
It's so true! 🤣
Upstate Select's cover photo
Upstate Select's cover photo
Upstate Select 18U is holding private tryouts for the Summer season of 2020. This is a mostly showcase team who plays in top level showcases. This team is meant to get you exposure so that you can continue your softball/academic career at the next level. Below are the openings we have. If you are interested please contact us via email at [email protected] or direct message us on our page. Thank you!
All. Of. This.
SO VERY PROUD OF ALL THREE OF THESE GIRLS AND THEIR COMMITMENTS MADE!! Now to see what the future holds! We love you all!!💞🙌🏻
-MOLLY WINSTEAD-USC UNION
-CASSIDY PLAIA-SPARTANBURG METHODIST COLLEGE
-RACHEL DELIO-SPARTANBURG METHODIST COLLEGE
[10/28/19] Macey Drye you are amazing! I teared up seeing this! You are so talented! Love these girls!! 💙 ** I DO NOT OWN THE RIGHTS TO THIS MUSIC**
EVERY PITCHER NEEDS TO HEAR THIS!!! 🙌🏻🤪
If you have a pitching coach offering to take your money to teach your daughter a rise, drop, curve, screw, and change in a short amount of time... RUN the other direction‼️ 🏃♀️🏃♀️🏃♀️
If you have a pitching coach offering to take your money to teach your daughter 8-9 pitches, RUN the other direction‼️🏃♀️
The best pitchers in the world have 3-4 pitches at most and they’ve been working on them for 15-20 years!!! 💯 Why would your 10 year old need 3 pitches? She doesn’t! Solid location with pinpoint control and a great change can control a game even through high school!
What are the STEPS to becoming a successful pitcher? It is a PROCESS and there aren’t any shortcuts. You cannot cheat the GRIND. 💪
I recommend that you find a pitching coach that focuses on the following:
1. Safe and Efficient Mechanics. What does this mean? It means that your posture, balance, alignment and timing is SO GOOD that you can pitch between two GLASS WALLS the width of the pitcher’s plate. If your daughter is throwing her glove out to the side, not only is she losing speed, but she will eventually injure herself. It may not hurt now, but I’ve seen a fractured back, low back pain, upper back pain, and nerve impingements from this basic form deficiency. Form before pitches! Basic pitching 101. If a pitching coach is teaching “pitches” to someone that has mechanical deficiencies that will eventually lead to injury or make it impossible to break the 55 mph speed barrier, then he/she is taking your money knowing that 90 percent of all pitchers QUIT by age 14. He/she doesn’t truly care about the pitchers’ long term health or success.
2. Topspin with pinpoint location. What is topspin? It is commonly called a fastball, but aren’t all pitches fast except for a changeup? It is a pitch that spins from 12-6 like a ball rolling on the ground from the pitcher to the catcher. This is the first pitch any pitcher should learn. It is commonly called a “fastball”, but the true name for it is a PEEL DROP. Stripe the ball to make sure that you are throwing topspin. You can throw two (will cut left or right AND drop) or four seam (drops straight down) top spin, it doesn’t matter. We WANT ground balls! This pitch will “feed the infield”! As a pitcher grows and becomes more experienced, she/he will learn how to rip the seams and make this pitch dive straight down! It is an awesome pitch and all pitchers MUST have it.
3. Be able to LOCATE the “baby peel drop”/aka “fastball” PITCH any place you want WITH YOUR EYES CLOSED. If you can do this, then you have solid muscle memory and your mental imagery is firmly established. Nothing can rock your form at this point. This takes years to get to this point. Stay steady and on course.
4. Develop a nasty CHANGE UP. This is the second most important pitch. Upsetting a batter’s timing is key. Pick a changeup and master it. The magic is in the putting the ball deep in the palm of your hand and locking your wrist. All grips are just “tricks” to assist in preventing the fingers from ripping the seams. Pick your own personal favorite and make it work for YOU! The best changeups have tight backspin or topspin and will result in fly balls or grounds balls. But HOW to throw them is a personal thing. Pick one and master it! Or better yet, invent your own! 😍
3. Develop a RISE ball. It may take up to two years to get this pitch on the 6-12 axis. I usually wait until my pitchers are in the 8th grade to begin this process. That way she has it on the correct axis by 10th grade. Any earlier and the pitch turns into a high fastball. Be patient and don’t give up! It’s worth it! This pitch takes hard work and dedication and you cannot cheat the grind! If it were easy, then everyone would have one. 💪💪💪 How badly do you want it? This pitch will separate the weak from the strong. The patient from the hurried. The quitters from the fighters. Keep your eye on the prize and stay focused and on course! 🎯
4. If you’ve mastered these three pitches and you have tons of extra time in your hands, then consider adding a curve to your pitching tool box. By this time, your form should be locked in and you will be strong enough to safely and efficiently create this spin with your fingers and wrist and NOT by stepping right and slinging the ball left. Also, your beautiful form will be so committed to muscle memory that bullet spin is unlikely to slip into your pitches at this stage in your training.
The great Cindy Bristow once said, “I’ve NEVER called anyone’s FIFTH best pitch.” 💯💯💯
⚠️Don’t waste your time on learning lateral pitches unless you have mastered the vertical ones. Any time spent on these pitches is time that you COULD have spent on pitches that move up and down. Why settle for five mediocre pitches rather than two outstanding vertical pitches and a changeup? The horizontal pitches should only be considered AFTER you have MASTERED the drop, change, and rise. Do you want to be average? Or do you want to be an ELITE pitcher?
⚠️FACT: I rarely see girls throwing TRUE 9-3 or 3-9 curve spin. 🙁 It is almost ALWAYS bullet spin 🤢 and the girls are risking injury to throw it! Elbows are popping out! Hands are NOT tight to the body upon release! And girls are leaving their power lines to throw angled pitches that do NOT break! Girls have elbows, shoulders, and backs that are hurting from growing this pitch improperly! 🤕 They are being taught this pitch at too YOUNG of an age! Not only are they getting hurt, but their basic drop/fastball form is often altered (pitchers begin pitching sidebarm) resulting in bullet spin on the fastball/drop-ball as well. 😱
⚠️FACT: In 32 years of umpiring and 41 years in this game, I’ve NEVER seen a TRUE screw ball. EVER. 😳 I’m not saying it doesn’t exist, but I personally have never seen it. I’ve seen thousands of pitchers step to the FAR left or right (illegal in college ball) and throw an angled bullet spin drifts to the inside corner and gets belted over the fence! However, I’ve never seen one BREAK. Can the pitcher step straight toward the over the power line and still get lateral movement? Or does she have to leave the power line to create the illegal angle? In fact, I’ve never seen the true 3-9 or 9-3 saucer screw spin that would be required for a ball to break left or right. I would LOVE to see it! I want to believe it’s real. But I haven’t. If you can throw it, please share!
WHY would you ever want to throw a pitch (bullet spin) that doesn’t break?!!! Why throw flat and fat?!! This pitch is not only a time suck that puts the pitcher at risk for elbow, shoulder, and back pain, but it gets hit HARD! That is why I call it a “220”. Why does it get taken yard more than any other pitch? It doesn’t have any Magnus Force pushing it up or down, so will NOT reverse spin off of the bat (no pop ups or ground balls). Instead it will be hit STRAIGHT and FAR if the batter makes contact! Instead, throw an inside pitch that actually DOES BREAK and has a higher likelihood of producing ground outs and fly outs!
Outs friends! We want outs! Strikeouts are fun, but a 21 pitch game is a “perfect game” in my opinion. Afterall, it is a TEAM sport. 🤗
WE ARE EXCITED TO ANNOUNCE that MACEY DRYE has chosen to continue her softball career with CIU!! Reach for the stars kid! We are so proud of you and all you have accomplished thus far! You can do anything with God! We love you! CONGRATS!!
EVERYBODY WANTS TO BE A BEAST UNTIL IT'S TIME TO DO WHAT REAL BEASTS DO!!! #tbt
AG IS TEARING UP THIS BAG!!
Check this out!!
Getting a little work done🙌🏻
These were my role models!! These were true winners!!💞🙌🏻
3 Time Olympic Gold Medalist Lisa Fernandez. Lisa Fernandez is a right-handed softball pitcher of Cuban-Puerto Rican descent who established an Olympic record in softball with 21 strikeouts in a game and was as a member of the United States Women's team.
Here are game times for the weekend!🙌🏻
Come out and support us tomorrow at Spartanburg Methodist College!! 🙌🏻💙
This movie is a must see!! You guys need to really soak this up!! 🙌🏻
[08/31/19] 50/50 raffle tickets for sale TODAY ONLY!! Drawing at 6pm and you DO NOT have to be present! Let us know how many tickets you would like and your phone number and we can send you our paypal info!! PLEASE HELP SUPPORT THESE GIRLS WITH SHOWCASE TOURNAMENT FEES!!! 💙🙌🏻🙏🏻
Working hard at practice!! You get out of it what you put into it!!🙌🏻💞
Upstate Select 18U showcase team is looking for another bracket pitcher to round out our roster for 2019-2020. If you are serious about playing at the collegiate level then this is the opportunity for you. This team is coached by Jennifer McDaniel, assistant softball coach at Spartanburg Methodist College and former softball player at USC Upstate and Sarah Gambrill former assistant coach at Riverside and softball alumni of Spartanburg Methodist College. Both are private softball instructors at Strike Zone in Greer,SC. We are only looking for serious inquiries! If you want to step your game up and get in front of college coaches this team is for you! Lots of college connections and a challenging showcase schedule will help you along your way to being a collegiate softball player. This team specializes in colleges and universities in the southeast. If you are interested please email [email protected] or PM Upstate Select Fastpitch. Thank you!
Random pictures from the Summer of 2019 Showcases💞🙌🏻
Upstate Select 18U showcase team is looking for another bracket pitcher and another middle infielder to round out our fall roster. If you are serious about playing at the collegiate level then this is the opportunity for you. This team is coached by Jennifer McDaniel, assistant softball coach at Spartanburg Methodist College and former softball player at USC Upstate and Sarah Gambrill former assistant coach at Riverside and softball alumni of Spartanburg Methodist College. Both are private softball instructors at Strike Zone in Greer,SC. We are only looking for serious inquiries! If you want to step your game up and get in front of college coaches this team is for you! Lots of college connections and a challenging showcase schedule will help you along your way to being a collegiate softball player. This team specializes in colleges and universities in the southeast. If you are interested please email [email protected] or PM Upstate Select Fastpitch. Thank you!
The Goon Squad Paintball Team- Playing out of Upper State SC. Putting Boots to Asses since 2012.
A travel baseball team of 10-11 year olds from the Greer/Taylors community competing in tournaments to become better athletes, teammates, and competitors.